Monday, January 17, 2011

homework anxiety, recess freak or conscientious student?

The teachers at my son's school, where he is in the third grade, have a little thing they do if a student forgets to have his/hers homework book signed, or they forget an assignment, journal, etc. - their policy is to take five minutes off of their recess.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this is a fate worse than death for a nine year old boy!
So, as he is getting ready for math class today, he realizes that he doesn't have his math journal and all he can think about of course is... yep, recess!

(Now if you knew my little guy at all, you would know that gym class and recess are the only reasons to go to school in the first place!)

Back to the story - as I said, everyone is getting out their assignments and journals, and he realizes he forgot his at home!

INSTANT PANIC!!!

(A little more back story before i go on... he tends to get VERY anxious when he makes a mistake or gets into trouble, even when it comes to the smallest things.)

Now, as I said before - he's just beside himself with worry over the journal and all of a sudden... he THROWS UP right in the middle of the classroom!

Now he can think pretty quick on his feet when he has to, and saw the perfect opportunity to not only get out of trouble for not having his math journal but to get out of the rest of the day of school!

I missed the call from the school nurse saying he was sick, but Grammie answered the phone and made the trek to pick him up, of course. On the trip home, he managed to continue the "sick" act, saying his stomach hurt. However... once he got home, all of a sudden he's a bundle of energy and shows no signs or symptoms of illness - I know, amazing, right?
After about 15 minutes of questioning, ranging from "are you feeling better now?" and "what did you eat for lunch?" to "was someone picking on you?", the magic question turned out to be..."what class did this happen in?" Lo and behold... it was math class and the journal was sitting on the coffee table from last night!

Now as the title of this asks... which of the three categories do you think he falls into?

As for me... I'm going with a little bit of all three - but feel free to make up your own mind.

2 comments:

  1. I'm making up my own category.....dumb teacher or smart student. Come on....how about a free pass that he can use??!! Poor litte angel.

    So I love your post and the heat is on, because I will be pressuring you to keep blogging. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart kid, thinking on the fly like that. Wish him all the best as he grows up!

    ReplyDelete